MB 105 – W180

Ponton / Roundy Nicknamed Series Mercedes Vehicles

The Mercedes Benz Ponton Roundy term comes from several series of Mercedes Benz vehicles that carried a similar body style through their sedan models. These included the following:

MB W105 | W120 | W121 | W128 | W180 Series Models

The Mercedes Benz Ponton Roundy Nickname

The nickname Ponton comes from the German word for “pontoon” and refers to the defined style of pontoon fenders — and a postwar styling trend that was subsequently identified as Ponton styling. It started with Daimler-Benz’s first totally new Mercedes-Benz series of passenger vehicles produced after World War II. Beginning in July 1953, these cars utilized the bulk of the Mercedes Benz production line for several years before being phased out between 1959 and 1962.

Work began in earnest on the Ponton body cars in 1951, with a design focused on passenger comfort and safety. There were essentially four types of Ponton cars. Note the “D” designates a diesel engine, and the suffix “b” and/or “c” are body variants introduced after the middle of 1959.

The W127 Prototype Built on the W121 Roadster Chassis

The W127 was essentially a big brother being built on the W121 190SL Roadster Chassis -and pepped up with the 2.2-liter six-cylinder M180 engine from the 220 ponton sedan. To spice it up even more, fuel injection and a touring specific camshaft cranked up the output to 117 hp. The size of the 220 engine dictated body modifications such as a recessed bulkhead and increasing the strength of the transmission tunnel to accommodate the six-cylinder engine and a four-speed gearbox into the W121 190SL chassis and body shell.

Two such cars were produced and they were given the internal code W127
As they were the fourth and fifth trial cars with a larger engine, they were named 190SL /4 and 190SL /5

As fate would have it, the W127 220SL production plans were terminated in favor of a completely new design. This new car, known internally as W113, was called 220SL during development and introduced in 1963 as the W113 230SL.